Thursday, June 2, 2011

Steampunk Music part 2 - Emilie Autumn

Okay, so I admit, I'm late to the game on Emilie Autumn. I really only just found out about her this past fall. Isn't that terrible! I guess that's what happens when you are returning to the scene. I always feel so out of the loop.
I think it was October or November when I went over to a friend's place (Jill you rock) and a few of us were sitting around, and she put on Emilie Autumn's Opheliac and Laced and Unlaced albums. I thought - "this is awesome" and now I'm hooked! The Opheliac album is definitely my favorite, I listen to it all the time now (plus Abney Park's new album End of Days) How did I not know about her before?




She also showed me her book Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls. I love the concept and think it's beautifully illustrated. I'm trying to find a copy, but the official website says the original print is sold out. So I guess I'll just have to wait until the new run is available.




I'm also eagerly awaiting the upcoming album Fight Like a Girl (FLAG). It's supposed to be harder and more metalish (squeal)!




Is there anyone else who feels like they discovered something way after everyone else?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

  1. lol... FLAG... I do believe that a year ago she said she would be recording in the fall. She didn't say anything after that; I thought she was pretending she wasn't making a new album. Then she started talking about it again. Give it a couple years and we may have a new album.

    What do you mean by the concept of the Asylum book?

    I usually discover things after everyone else. I'm too oblivious to find them first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I mean by the concept is how part of it is autobiographical and part is fictional, I like that she relates her experience of being in a mental istution to that of those in asylums in Victorian times. I also enjoyed the Victorian inspired artwork in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes sense. I actually haven't read it (waaay too expensive for me and nobody has scanned it), but I hear it's nice. Well, they say that it's nice for being "autobiographical". Maybe I'll get to read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i fell WAY!!!!!!!!!!!OUT OF THE LOOP! I discovered Emilie autumn .............6 days ago!I'm not kidding!My favorite song from her is definitely Opheliac!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered EA about three years ago. I really didn't like her at first. But then she grew tremendously on me. She's not a great singer, but she's certainly a great song writer and musician.

    I live under a rock. So yeah, I miss out on new stuff all the time. Like the fact that Voltaire put out a sea shanty goth steampunk album like two years ago. Just discovered that one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voltaire put out a sea shanty goth steampunk album?! No way. I must check this out. Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Lou! I must say that I'm pleased as punch that I run into fans of Emilie Autumn now because she still seems quite obscure to me.
    I do believe that a certain Ms. Emma has a second print edition of the book with a signed sticker. ;) (I'm so jealous of the sticker, lol)

    I'm glad that someone else pointed out the Sea themed Voltaire romp - always meant to buy it, but completely forgot. Went back to the site last month and saw that he's released another album since. :( So out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete