Friday, June 10, 2011

Tarot of the Vampyres

While I was on holidays in the Uk last month, I picked up a few new items. I'm a sucker for book stores especially, so I picked up numerous books while there. It was particularly bad in Shrewsbury, where Waterstones bookstore is directly across from the Starbucks on the town square. It was a magnetic vortex to me!
One of my favorite purchases there was a new set of tarot cards titled The Tarot of the Vampyres by Ian Daniels (published by Llewellyn). I have read tarot cards for 16 years, and over the years have collected many decks (and given many away). I just keep my very favorites now, but every so often a new one catches my eye.



I love the art work on many of the cards in this deck. It's gothic vampire cliches at their finest! I can't help but love it.

Back of cards


I wasn't expecting much from the book to be honest, but it's actually written quite well. The author discusses the image of the vampire from a Jungian point of view, using both light and shadow aspects of the vampire archetype. I thought it was an interesting take on tarot symbolism and meaning. He also uses traditional tarot comparisons such as the Cabalistic Tree of Life to help explain tarot symbolism.



I thought I was buying the cards just for the images, but find I am using them regularly in my readings. Some of the images are below. What do you think?






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. That is simply LOVE!
    I wis we had more tarot decks here in Belgium to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is a wonderful deck. I'm sure you'll eternally enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to get this deck because I love the characters in the cards so much. The 3 of knives reminds me of the Princess card in the celtic wisdom oracle by Caitlin Matthews.

    Both images work really well - as universal prompts, and also as themes in their respective decks.

    ReplyDelete