Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fascinators!

Once again the fabulous VictorianKitty has set a fashion theme for the month at her blog Sophostique Noir. Check out her beautiful headpiece and the other blogs participating Here.



With that theme in mind I thought I'd write a little about the history of the fascinator. While ladies have probably been sticking pretty flowers and feathers in their for eons, the fascinator really took off in the 18th century. It was the era of giant wigs, and ladies sought to make their enormous bouffants stand out by adorning them with feathers, beads, and even pillows and model ships and cannons.







After the French Revolution, it was no longer considered proper to display such ostentatiousness. During the early 19th century ladies hairstyles were simpler and kept closer to the head. If they added a feather or ribbon, it was small and modest.
As the late 1800s progressed and into the Edwardian era, ladies hairstyles became more elaborate again and they began to add fascinators back into their fashion repertoire.






With economic decline in the 1930s they began to fall out of favor again, but are experiencing a resurgence these days. I wonder if fascinators are an indicator of optimism? As I notice they tend to appear in more upbeat eras.

Here's my fascinator which I got at good old "Marks and Sparks" for £15.









I'd also like to take a moment to thank everyone for reading and following my little blog. When I started this I had no idea if anyone would be interested at all, and as of last week I passed the 50 follower mark. Thank you all so much! To show my appreciation I will be doing a giveaway of a piece of art made just for this. I will post pics once it's done and more details, but I just wanted everyone to know about it. Below is an example of the kind of work I do.( The picture quality isn't the best, but you get the idea). I'll be making a painting with more of a Victorian theme for this.



Also, please let me know what kind of posts you are interested in.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I love the mesh flower on your fascinator!! Thank you for including the historical facts and photos. That definitely put a unique spin on your post for this theme. :) I can never get enough of Victorian/Edwardian fashion images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fascinator, Lou. It's big enough to make a statement but small enough that you can get lots of everyday wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never thought about the history of fascinators before, thanks for this post :)

    ReplyDelete