Monday, December 12, 2011

Accent Challenge

I learnt about the accent challenge from the blogs The Everyday Goth and the Walrus Room. It was originally a Tumblr meme, but is now making it's way around some blogs. I think it's loads of fun, and so interesting to hear people's voices. Here's my post.




Here's the questions I answered and the list of words.

Your name and username.

Where you're from.

Pronounce the following words: Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Avenue, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, GIF, Doorknob, Envelope, Drawing, Tomato, Often, Dog, February, Syrup, About, Process, Status, Organization, Orange, Talk, Mobile, Idea, Dynasty, Renaissance, Patronize, Breakfast, Drawer, Horror, Herbs.

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?

What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?

What do you call gym shoes?

What do you call your grandparents?

What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?

What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

Choose a book and read a passage from it.

Do you think you have an accent?

Be a wizard or a vampire?

Do you know anyone on Tumblr in real life?

End audio post by saying any THREE words you want.

I hope others participate to. It would be great to hear your voices! :)



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

  1. That's a really cool idea for a challenge! And you're right, everyone has an accent we just don't notice it when everyone around us speaks in the same accent we do. It was really fun to listen to and see how other people pronounce certain words differently from me. I'd like to try to too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to participate (I eventually will) but I still need to find some charged batteries for my flipcam.

    It's so interesting to see these videos, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People have ridiculed me for pronouncing Aunt like that. High five to all us women who say "ont"! And shout outs are awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say "pop" for soda pop. That's amazing! I was told that it was just a Pittsburgh thing. People who came to this area from anywhere else usually had no idea what you were referring to for first few times they heard it. You say it too in Winnipeg! OMG! (sorry, this is really an amazing revelation to me). Also, you sound like my friend Christine almost to a T. It's rather scary actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessie and Tenebris I hope you guys do the challenge to. I'd love to see it!
    @Jill can't wait to see you layer this month hopefully. We will say "aunt" our crazy way together.
    @Unlacing the Victorians - that's totally crazy and cool! I thought it was just a Canadian thing. I went to Minneapolis and asked for a pop once and also got a look like I must be on glue. Good to knows it's called that on Pittsburg to. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ms Lou I live in the UK and we call it pop to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, what a fun challenge! I'm not on Tumblr and hadn't heard of it. Now I want to participate! You have a lovely accent, by the way. =)

    ReplyDelete