Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Trip to Toronto

Last week I took a short weekend trip to Toronto to visit my old friend Jehan (affectionally known as Jiji). We were very good friends back in high school. There were four of us that would hang out, go shopping, go to the movies, sleep over etc. At the end of first year university she moved back to Egypt, and I haven't seen her since. Well, almost 20 years later, I got a phone call from her that she was coming to Toronto for a few days, so we decided to meet up.



I flew out on Friday morning (thanks Westjet for bumping me to a direct flight when I got to the airport). I've been to the Toronto airport a few times but never actually visited the city.
I was only there for a day and a half so we didn't venture far. We stayed downtown, just off of Dundas Square the main shopping area. The square makes me think of a mini Times Square, with lots of billboards, tv screens etc. I would of loved to find some goth type shops, but I had to make do with the regular type mall of Eatons Centre.







I was there to spend time with Jiji though, and we had a great time. We shopped, and went to the movies (I told her it was her turn to pick a movie). I gently suggested The Woman in Black, but we ended up watching This Means War, which was okay as far as romantic comedies go. We also went to the Hard Rock Cafe and a cool 50s style diner place.



Light fixture at the Hard Rock Cafe



Eatons Centre

The only thing that marred our otherwise fab get together was on Saturday night. We were walking to a restaurant nearby, and some little gangster type guy walked by and punched us! It wasn't super hard, but he hit me in the chest and her in the arm as her walked between us and scuttled off. It was so weird because he didn't say anything. We were spooked though. Then that night, our neighbors in the hotel were super noisy, they were yelling in the hall and we had to call security three times. We got almost no sleep. Then when we woke up in the morning there was a condom in the hotel hallway - eww. All in all it didn't leave me with a good impression of Toronto. We agreed when we meet again we won't go there.
If you live or are familiar with Toronto, where would you recommend a person go?



Jiji and I in our noisy hotel room.



Shot from the air near Thunder Bay

I flew home Sunday morning, tired but happy to have gone and spent time with a dear friend. My lovely BF met me at the airport and when I got back to my apartment I found this that he'd left for me.



Isn't he the sweetest?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Toronto. I am sorry you had such a disappointing experience there. But if you do manage to risk it again, try the following:

    -the Casa Loma- a 98 room mansion built by a rich guy about 100 years ago. http://www.casaloma.org/Main/MainDyn.asp

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Loma

    The cool thing about Casa Loma, other than the amazingly intricate architecture and rooms, is that it's been used for scenes in movies such as X-Men and Chicago.

    We also went to see the Medieval Times show while we were there, which was cool but can be seen in other cities in North America.

    Chinatown was pretty interesting as well. We also went to the Olympic sports museum and the Hard Rock Cafe inside the stadium there. But Casa Loma was definitely the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your experiences have been better than mine. I may give the city another chance in the future.
      Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  2. My husband is from Toronto originally, so we go annually to visit but I never get to see much of the city because there are so many family members to visit! One of his friends described the city to me as "a smaller version of NYC" which, frankly, scared me because I've been to NYC and I didn't care for it much. :) He did take me to the CN Tower on my first visit to Toronto, which I truly enjoyed. The view was amazing, and the rotating restaurant was so delicious!

    What a sweet Welcome Home surprise from your man. Amazing what a few days away can do... ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear of your Canadian connections! lol. And yes the surprise from my honey was lovely.

      Delete