Saturday, October 27, 2012

Teapunk!

Lately on Facebook Amy from Stripey Tights and Dark Delights mentioned the phrase "Teapunk". I was intrigued and inspired by this. In doing some research it is a phrase referring to the resurgence of the love of tea and tea time in the Steampunk sub culture. An in your face love of tea and all things tea related!



I thought wouldn't it be great if Teapunk became a subset all it's own? If people made tea time a part of their day and proudly announced their love of tea? When I was a girl, my English mum would revert to the British tradition of tea time, when we were on summer holiday. We would eat a large dinner at noon, then at 4 or 5 have tea time of sandwiches and dessert. I really like this.
Tea time was started by Anna Duchess of Bedford, one of Queen Victoria's ladies in waiting. She experienced a sinking feeling in the afternoon, so would order tea, sandwiches and cake to her room. From this the Victorian tradition of tea time emerged. I also experience that "sinking feeling" in the afternoon and enjoy having a nice cuppa at around 4pm.



I thought about hosting a Victorian tea party. Since my move I have sadly fallen out of hosting my parlour, but would love to do a tea party. Here's some tips on hosting one.
- Invitations - handwritten one's are suggested, but I think even a nicely designed Facebook one can suffice, with Victorian imagery. You can encourage guests to get dressed up as well.
- Decorations - a nicely set table is a must, with tablecloth, place settings, beautiful tea cups, saucers, and teapot, creamer, sugar bowl and a bowl for lemon wedges is also suggested. Of course, napkins, plates and cutlery for the snacks too. A nice centerpiece of flowers or seasonal decorations is also suggested as a Victorian touch.



-Menu - a traditional tea has 3 courses. Tea of various varieties can be offered throughout. Traditional one's like oolong, Earl Grey and English or Irish Breakfast tea ate all acceptable, and these days there are so many wonderful varieties you can pick up, why not try something new?
The first course is sandwiches. These are usually served without crusts and cut into small triangles or with a cookie cutter into fancy shapes. Cucumber, tuna, salmon and cream cheese, egg salad and watercress are traditional varieties.
The second course is scones. These are usually served with clotted cream and jam or lemon curd.
The final course is cakes and tarts. Jam tarts, sponge cake, and Cherries Jubilee were popular tea time desserts. In fact Cherries Jubilee was invented to celebrate Queen Victoria's jubilee year.



What is your favorite tea and accompaniments?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. well, I think, it's a little bit silly. Even we started to frame our self. I like coffee, the color of coffee, the smell, I would want a coffee perfume too, so am I coffee goth? All those bubble goths, pastel goths and so on... Is it not enough just being labeled by steam punk or punk. And the words "tea" and "punk" doesn't belong together in my opinion at all:) Since term "punk" describes describes a rebellion person and polite tea drinking doesn't fit with that for me at all :D I think people these days are so obsessed with individuality that dame come with new terms to make them self super individual and unique, but terms and arrange acts is not the thing that makes us unique. No offence. The tea party idea itself is great. I thinking of organizing a fancytea party for my 30th birthday. I didn't knew about the three courses. Need to study about it :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment was actually from Clementine Dahling. I went to press publish on my iPhone, but accidentally pressed "delete"!!! I was so upset because I really like this. Then I saw it also went to my email, so I copied and pasted it here. Whew.
    By the way I love this as Clementine you really are the original teapunk!


    Clementine Dahling has left a new comment on your post "Teapunk!":

    Damn girl, I've been teapunk since before my steampunk blog then! I have loved tea since I was 10 or 11, but only drank flavored teas that were well sugared on special occassions (when I was sick or when my mom pulled out one of her four fancy tea sets to have a sit-down tea, usually around the Christmas tree late on a cold winter night). Only in high school did I start taking this warm beverage with me in a travel mug to school in the mornings, and once I got to college I had it a few times a day.

    In the summer of 2009 we had an unusually cool summer, and my summer job was actually a grant for writing a research paper on a pre-approved topic of my choosing, so days were spent writing, reading, and keeping warm by boiling hot water every hour or so for more tea. I've become a true addict since then- it keeps me warm in the winter or in heavily air-conditioned conditions, and makes me feel comfortable for some odd reason.

    I did several tea events at a museum I used to work at due to my love of tea, drink it straight to not dilute the deliciousness of it, made my family go to a tea plantation in SC to learn about the different kinds of tea, and drink so much tea at my parents' house that my mom has started to insist I bring my own supply, as I am cleaning them out.

    Yes, I am wacko for tea.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish tea time would make a come-back! It sounds both relaxing and rejuvenating. Now, everything is just rush rush rush and if you actually take a moment to sit and have a cup of tea, you are wasting time and should be getting more done. It's a terrible shame that the world has become all about accomplishment and not about enjoyment. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent, but that's what comes to my mind when think of tea time, as I rush to make a cup for myself in the afternoon and usually let it get cold at my desk as I forget about it in the rush to keep up with the day's work. When I retire, tea time will be a part of each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all for bringing back tea time! If only I didn't work retail and could actually do that everyday...

    ReplyDelete