Sunday, May 5, 2013

Nostalga Night

Yesterday I went to a social (if you're not from Manitoba, a social is basically a party held in a community hall), put on by the Elysium Social Club, a gothic community group. The theme of this social was "20 Years of Bloody Hell", celebrating 20 years of the goth scene in Winnipeg. I'm sure there was a scene of some kind before that, but it was about 20 years ago that the goth bar "The Crypt" opened, and that a local DJ, who is still going strong, has been spinning for us. DJ Evil Bastard or Zlatan, famously says "bloody hell" a lot - thus the name of the evening. While the Crypt (which later became a gothic clothing shop) is closed and the goth bar night has moved to 4 or 5 different venues since, it is nice to see that our little community is still going strong.
Last night it was great to see so many people come out and get dressed up like the old days.They had DJs playing the best songs from different eras, and a slide show with tons of photos from the past two decades.


My look for the night.



My freind Rene looking awesome.



Rene 15 years ago. Still fabulous!



Here's me back in 199/2000 playing in a gothic metal band called Exalted. I played with them from 1998 - 2002.
Seeing the old photos definitely did make me miss some things about the old days. But lots of things now are really good, and it's nice to see that many of us are still friends and are enjoying the scene, even if that means we go out a little less and some are having to find babysitters for the night.

Here's a few more pics from the night. I took a bunch, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum here.



Old Crypt sign



The lovely Christine.



Marie - love that hair!

What is your local scene like?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. My local scene is nonexistent. Most people have never even heard of goth in Korea. My co-workers had a good time explaining to the school secretaries why I always wore black and big boots! On the bright side, though, everything I do looks terribly original. "Swirly eyeliner? How unique!" :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Korea. Yes, goth, and most subcultures, are completely foreign. Even the government gives us official "alien" cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1999 was a good year, wasn't it? I love how you two haven't aged! Ah, the goth, it keeps one fresh :)

    ReplyDelete