Saturday, July 20, 2013

New Music or Why Am I the Last to Hear About Anything?

It used to be when I was younger I was pretty up to date on new music and artists out there. I knew about new bands, when they were coming to town, I could name their albums and when the next one was coming out etc. etc. Alas, that was the old days when I was a teenager and in my early 20s (during the late 80s and into the 90s). As one gets older your attention goes to other things, but being an avid music lover I still felt like I was pretty in the know overall. Not so in the last few years. I think as you get older i's easy to get stuck in a rut and dtick with what you know. More and more I feel out of the loop and the last to hear about anything.
I was really late to the game about Emilie Autumn. It was just a couple of years ago my friends Jill and Chloe turned me on to her. How did I not come across this? I asked myself.
Then recently I was watching a video post from Katzlovesbats on YouTube, where she lamented people asking her about a band called Black Veil Brides. "What is this?" I again found myself pondering.



Turns out they've been around since 2010 and are on their third album. I took a listen to see what the fuss was about and I actually liked it! It reminds me of the cheesy hair metal bands I grew up with. It's so nice to see the young ones relighting the torch I thought (also wow I think I am getting older). I picked up the latest album Wretched and Divine and it's good glam metal fromage. I looked at their website and along with the usual fan t-shirts you can get this rosary - hilarious!



So I asked my friends on Facebook if they could recommend anything else for music and a musician friend recommended a Canadian metal group called Deimonds. They also are in the same 80s style metal vein and have been around for a little while too. They are also worth checking out if you like this style of music.



If anyone has any other artists they can recommend in either this 80s metal recitalist vein or Emilie Autumnish type music, please let me know! As I'm looking to expand my auditory palette!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Amanda Palmer (and the Dresden Dolls); Jill Tracy; Hannah Fury; Circus Contraption; The Tiger Lillies; Charming Hostess; Lonely Drifter Karen; Man Man; Soeper Aeturnus, etc. I looked up a list of Dark Cabaret artists on Wikipedia. I originally learned about this genre through NPR. NPR mentioned some artist, I don't remember who,and I looked her up on Youtube. One of the side recommendations was Jill Tracy, and that opened up a whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard "Rasputina" ? This one goes with Emilie Autumn, I would say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We knew about new bands because we actually had music videos on MTV (later, my friend had MuchMusic, which played alternative/underground), we had seriously awesome music magazines, we had record label sampler, we made mixed tapes for our friends, our alternative radio station took requests... now I'm 32, so you may be slightly older than me (?) but I agree that it's very hard for me to find out about new bands, especially ones I enjoy. Sooo, keep us updated on what you find :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean... I can't count on two hands the number of new bands I've discovered (and actually liked) since after college. Partly because finding new music isn't as high a priority at my age and also because I'm incredibly picky... But I'll be using this post and the comments as an opportunity to expand my musical horizons! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete