Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hair - Undercuts, Deathhawks, Fauxhawks etc.

Lately I have been noticing that a couple of hairstyle trends that are quite popular amongst the gothy crowd. I am seeing undercuts and deathhawks everywhere it seems. Undercuts especially have been really taking off amongst the ladies, usually on just one side of the head.



While undercuts may be trendy right now, I would not advise just running out and getting them on a whim, as you may be stuck with the consequences for a while. Shaving one side, or part of one side of the head, will take a while to grow out if you end up hating it. There will also be that awkward phase when you are growing it out where one side of your head will have short hair and it might look weird for a while. Keep in mind too, that if you dye your hair different from your natural colour, the undercut side will need more maintenance, with either shaving or dyeing, as the roots will appear more noticeable. Keep in mind the thickness of your hair too, as your undercut will be more noticeable on those with thinner finer hair than those with thicker hair. Some of you may like this, while others may want to be able to hide it at times, covering it over with other hair.



That being said,if you've thought about it and you really want it, you should go for it. You only live once and after all it is just hair that will, in time grow out. It wi also give you some interesting hairstyle options, including the afore mentioned deathhawk.



A deathhawk is (as shown above on the lovely Razor Candy) usually teased and swept over to one side, a sort of fuller relative to the Mohawk. These and undercuts were popular in the 90s and seem to have come back around again. If you do not want to commit to a side undercut, but would still like to sport a deathhawk at times, you can always go for the faux deathhawk, which involves combing the hair over to one side and teasing, for a similar effect.



Of course the very daring can go for a full undercut and Mohawk, for that a true punk rock style.






Of course there is the Fauxhawk as well for those who want to try it out without the drastic haircut.







Personally I am not brave enough to go for an undercut and it's not really my thing, although I did have a purple and white fauxhawk when modelling at a hairshow years ago and it was fun. But I think these styles look great on others. What are your thoughts on these hairstyles?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. I agree that it is a drastic move if it depends on if you're easily traumatized by hair changes.
    I am a short hair person, so having a deathhawk style suits me and have styling my hair in a variety of ways, not just always up and at em'.

    In the 90s and into 00s I had an undercut *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love deathhawks! I would advise anyone who is thinking of getting an undercut and has not yet tried to do a deathawk or mohawk to make sure they can do it first. You may be one of the rare types like myself whose hair is so floppy it refuses to spike up and so fine it can't take backcombing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did an undercut pretty recently, but I did a small section of one side so that I could cover it with the rest of my hair if I didn't want to show it (especially for work). It was fun for a while, but I got bored of it quickly (also it was too much of a hassle for me to maintain). I say if you're interested in getting an undercut, first try a small area that is easily covered by the rest of your hair, just to see how you like it. If it turns out you're in love, go for a bigger section next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeeeyyy :3 Hi! :D I tagged you in one of my blog posts :> I hope you don't mind D:

    http://littleblackbloodyhood.blogspot.com/2013/08/5-things-tag-youre-next-d.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just posted the 5 Things Tag. Thanks for tagging me! :)

      Delete