Friday, October 11, 2013

My Goth Grandma

This week I read a post by The Everyday Goth entitled " 25 Goth Posts I Would Read in a Heartbeat". It contained some hilarious titles, and was meant to be funny, however I have decided to take on her challenge and actually post on these amusing topics. You can read the full article Here
So where to start with goth grandma? Fist off neither of my grandmothers were goth, though my great-great grandmother on my mother's side was an apothecary and rumoured witch (she had the long pointy stereotypical witch noise to boot). But that's about as close as you'd get to gothy.
I however hope to be a goth grandma when I'm older. I sometimes wonder how many of my generation will keep the style and and what it may evolve into as we get older. Oddly at the ripe old age of 39 some would categorize me as an "elder goth" but I wonder what elder goth will look like when we really get to be elders at 60 or older. There are some older goths I look at as inspiration as I get older. Goth bloggers The Curious Professor Z And Victorian Kitty at Sophistique Noir Are women about my age I find inspiration from, as we as the 40 years old and plus gothic icons Adora Bat Brat and Jillian Venters. They are just a few examples of goth women who rock the style into the mature years.
I looked for pictures of women 50 and over that had a gothic style, and here's some inspiration I found.



I so would wear this.



Very chic




Goth grandmas festing it up




It's not goth, but I could see it in black and maybe purple or red accents.

What about you? Do you plan to be a goth grandma/gramps when you reach your older years?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

  1. OOOOh the Advanced Style ladies, I love them! They have some outfits I am very jealous of! Yes, I hope I still dress that good when I am old! Hell, most of them dress better than I do right now!

    I told my best friend I am going to be the gothy weird aunt, although she is goth too. I see my myself wearing my usual combination of Gothic and Victorian inspired for the rest of my life, although I suppose there are things I will have to take into account when I am older such as making sure I don't trip on my hemlines going upstairs, (I am pretty short, so I do trip on some of my dresses). I don't see any reason why we can't do exactly as we like when we get old!

    Wow, I just read the list, and there are some hard ones there! I might do the Goth grandma one too, but I don't know about the others! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have a bunch of kids the odds for me to become a goth grandma is quite good ;) I could label myself the embarrassing goth mum, according to the teenager. "Are you going in those shoes???" Pointing at my pointy buckle boots. "No way I'm going to walk the street beside you"
    It has never occured to me that you are the same age as me. You look like 25 or younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, had no idea you were approaching 40. Welcome to the club! ;) You look amazing, and I'm glad to know there's another Goth in our growing group of Goth Girls Who Age Gracefully. :) It's all about remaining true to yourself. I think people are much more liberated to do that these days.

    Thanks for including me with such great company in this post. I *LOVE* the Advanced Style ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still 30, but I hope to look so awesome as in thw photos :D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just turned 39 and discovered the gothic lifestyle a few years ago. I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete