Saturday, November 9, 2013

Nanowrimo

I apologize for not posting last week. I missed out on Miss Kitty's Sweater monthly theme, and on all the Halloween updates. Between work and the usual household stuff, I have been using my free time lately mostly for Nanowrimo.



So what is Nanowrimo you may ask. Well, it stands for national Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a first draft during the month of November of 50,000 words. That's right a whole 50k which works out to about 1,667 words a day. It's a tall order, but at the end you have about a 200 page novel. Or at least a good first draft to work with.
So what can your novel be about? Anything. You can write a mystery, fantasy, historical, even fan fiction counts. You can technically write the word "duck" 50,000 times over and over, but that would be madness.



For me it's been a challenge. I was aiming for 2,000 words a day (minus Fridays when my day is too full for it). So far I am at just over 7,000. I will try to catch up this weekend as it is a long weekend here (Monday is Remembrance Day), and try to get back on track. I figure even if I don't make the 50k I will at least make a good dent in a first draft.
I have also been fuelling myself on with various form of caffeine. Just check out this chocolate soda I purchased the other day. If you are in Canada I encourage you to go to Superstore and pick one up. It's strange and delicious.



Have any of you attempted Nanowrimo? What is your advice?


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I am doing it now! I am surprised at how well it works, I will have to keep setting myself goals in future! Being determined to hit the 50k mark is really helping me finally get down some of that novel! Of course, 50k is not a complete novel, and it will need to be thoroughly edited, but I am so excited and happy right now!

    My advice would be to just sit down and start writing and stop worrying about waiting for ideas, that is what Nano got me to do!

    ReplyDelete