Saturday, December 14, 2013

How I Celebrate the Season

I came across some of the other bloggers taking up the challenge made by Ms. Misantropia asking how we each celebrate the season. I decided to take up the challenge as well!



My perpetration starts in November with baking the fruit cake. You have to bake it early as it needs to age a bit and every week I pour more cherry brandy over it so it soaks up the booze for flavour and moisture. This is how they started out.



Yesterday, after having absorbed their prescribed amount of liquor I iced them with royal icing.



I also bake gingerbread cookies, mince pies, and shortbread. Me and some friends then usually exchange tins of baking at our Yule party. It's a nice way to get a good variety of holiday baking for everyone.
Besides baking there's also the decorating which I did on November 30. I usually like to do it the first weekend of December, as I like a full month of holiday cheer. I posted a picture of my tree last week, so I won't bother with that. But I will show you my nativity scene. While I'm not Christian, my step kids are, and I thought this one was pretty cute. Plus it is another version of the mother goddess and divine son story so it doesn't bother me.



We also do "Elf on the Shelf" with the kids. It's pretty popular, so you've probably heard of it. The elf watches to see how good you are behaving, then flies back to Santa's at night to give his report. In the morning he appears in a new spot in the house and the kids have to find him. Today he was seated on the pig shaped pepper shaker.



Of course there's the Christmas shopping, which I try to mostly get done early. Like anywhere else it gets busier as we get closer to Christmas. It's also challenging as it has been so cold the last few weeks, down into the -30 C range. We Winnipegers are pretty hardy though. And the city does a pretty good job of putting up lots of festive lights to cheer us in the cold.






At work we are getting into the holiday spirit with decorating and this past week we had a luncheon for the employees. Me and a co worker decorated the office and kitchen. Observe our excellent decorating skills!



And the tower of sandwiches!



This coming week I am off work to rest and enjoy myself. I'm going tonight to a Yule party with some other pagan friends. We usually celebrate on Yule itself, but this year it didn't work out with everything else going on. So we are just doing it early this year. I will be doing my religious celebrations on the 21st and I'll be of course celebrating with my family on Christmas and with my partner's family as well. I hope to get together with other friends too on the next couple of weeks.

Hope you all have an excellent holiday season whatever you celebrate!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I had never actually heard of "Elf on a Shelf", thanks for sharing - it sounds like great fun for the kids :)

    -30 is just insanely cold. Do you have any snow? I can't see any in the pictures.

    Fruit cake is one of these old Anglo-Saxon things that surprises me that people still do. It must be much tastier than it sounds, because it sounds kind of...booze laden? soggy? like it should be going bad?

    Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the cake is quite dense so it soaks up the booze without being soggy. It's a very old Anglo Saxon tradition as you say. My mother is English and it's her recipe, so I'm just carrying on the tradition.
      Oh and there is a lot of snow here!

      Delete