Saturday, February 22, 2014

Babymetal

This week I came across a new band and I'm still trying to decide what I think about it. I saw the name mentioned in an article and decided to look it up, thinking it was a joke or parody at first, but strangely it's not.



Babymetal is a Japanese band consisting of three young ladies. They are the 16 year old singer Su-metal (Suzuka Nakamoto) and two 14 year old so called screamers Maometal (Mao Kikuchi), and Yuimetal (Yui Mizuno). They were apparently part of a pop group called Sakura Gakuin, which only has girls in it until they are of junior high age. The agency that manages them (because like most Japanese music these "bands" are completely manufactured) decided to form a new project that combined idol style pop and metal. As a side note non of the girls had even heard of metal before this.
Obviously the manufacturedness of the music is a turn off for me, although I understand this is the norm for J-rock, so fans of this may not have a problem with this fact. That being said, the singer can actually sing, and the idea is hilarious. The idea of combining feminine cuteness and metal is one I have thought about. I did talk about forming a gothic lolita metal band with some friends and would still like to do this.



The music is rather cute, and while I can't understand a word of Japanese, I don't know if that's necessary to enjoying the music. I did look up English lyrics and found one song to be about worrying about gaining weight from eating chocolate. Not exactly a deep or very female positive message. If you would like to hear the music for yourself, you can click below to see the video for their single Doki Doki. or click the link http://youtu.be/4QbAXXXOJF8


If you enjoy this single, you may want to note that their first full length album "Babymetal" is released on iTunes on Wednesday Feb.26.

What are your thoughts?

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. ah, I love Japanese culture.. Who else would name a style about sweetness and innocence Lolita? I love Gothic Lolita and Visual Kei style and I think a cute girl metal band is kind of adorable. I would like it if the music was more metal, ha ha. Also, I think this little girl is the cutest thing ever! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qoCCUuZzD8

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only parts I liked were those they were not singing :)Not for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody hell, I need to read your blog more often. Well written indeed! Anyway, the singing in some parts is something i still need to get used to, but over all, I like it. I love the look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like BabyMetal. They are so cute. Even if this is a parody, it's nice to hear anyway. An interesting mash-up. :)

    ReplyDelete