Saturday, May 10, 2014

Trend I'm Seeing Everywhere - The Side Cut

A couple of years ago I started seeing people in the goth/alternative community going for the side cut and sometimes the undercut as well. Most notably I remember when goth youtuber Sebastian Columbine got hers done, though there were others doing it as well. At the the time it was something that was edgy and still underground. Something only trendy with the darkling set, but now it seems to be everywhere! This spring I've seen it on everyone from teenagers waiting for the bus, to 40 year old moms at the drugstore to celebs like Miley Cyrus and Avril Lavigne. I'm wondering if the side cut has now crossed the line from alternative cool, to so trendy it's cliche?
I know there are a lot of people out there who are still rocking their side cuts and it looks great on them. I was wondering if having a hairstyle that was edgy become mainstream makes you dislike it? Or does it make one feel more comfortable?
I personally do not have this hairstyle and have no desire to get it. I think that growing it out would be a huge pain, and because my hair is rather fine and thin to begin with, I really need all the hair I have on my head. I also think it looks maintenance heavy, especially the kind where the buzzed part is dyed a different colour - though it does look amazing.
The hairstyle though is versatile and I've seen it expressed in a variety of ways, which I will show below (photos are from Pintrest). First it definetly can go with a goth styling.







This has a bit of a rockabilly touch to it.



It looks great with vibrantly coloured hair.

It also of course goes with deathhawks and "hawks of all kinds.









The addition of the tattoo is even more edgy (and quite the commitment).

It has been appearing as I said, in main stream hair styles too, both short and long.







What are your thoughts on the side cut. Do you love it or hate it? Is it too trendy? If you have one, do you find it difficult to maintain? Let me know your thoughts!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. It was done in the early 80, made a comeback in the mid-90s (had it then) and it's back again. It should be back again in 10-15 years :)

    ReplyDelete