Monday, July 28, 2014

Is Normal a Subculture?

Today I learned of a new, and what I think is a bizarre fashion trend called Normcore. It apparently has been around since winter of 2013 but I just heard about it today. So what is it exactly?

Normcore is dressing as blandly and unnoticeable as possible. It is considered unisex and involves wearing plain t shirts, sweaters, jeans and sweat pants. Think colours of grey, and beige.  It is considered anti fashion, and is about blending in as much as possible and avoiding any individuality in clothing. It is the new hipster. The wearers are so hip they have rejected fashion entirely.  One fashion blogger called it "exhaustingly plain". They avoid any kind of adornment, even ties. Oddly even though they have purported to reject fashion, many wear t shirts with a brand name emblazoned on it like Abercrombie.

Besides clothes, it also ascribes to a philosophy of blending in.Whatever people around are doing, you should too, and it is okay to go to a rodeo and dress like a cowboy, then go to a football game in a jersey, but have no real interest in either. As long as you blend in, and do not stand out. I think this fashion and philosophy is silly and anti individuality, which is disturbing to me. There is something to be said about not judging people by the clothes they wear, but this goes into mindless sheep territory.


I'm not really sure what the difference is between normcore and "normal" people who dress like this anyway? Other than the fact that those who describe their style as normcore are trying to make bland cool. Maybe I'm missing something? Or is it an attempt to make normal a subculture?

I also wondered what would happen if someone blended goth and norm core? After all hipster goth is it's own thing (nu goth). I propose "NormGoth". It would be plain black skirts and t shirts, with plain tights and black flats. A plain black collar would be the only adornment, and long unstyled black hair with no other colours. Lol.

What are your thoughts on this trend? 

8 comments:

  1. I think your description of "NormGoth" sounds basically like Wednesday Addams. LOL How many Goths are already shooting for that look anyway? ;)

    The pics above all look like celebrities trying to go undetected. Could this be one of the points of inspiration? Like, "I'm so fabulous, I have downplay it to fit in." I hadn't ever heard of it before either. *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it makes me think if celebrities undercover. I think it is utterly ridiculous. I'm not at all serious about the norm goth. I'm just trying to point out how silly it all is.

      Delete
  2. I would've found it slightly amusing had you not mentioned that they dress to suit an event or situation. Doesn't that contradict what they set out to do in the first place? If being "normcore" is dressing bland and non-descript, then why dress goth for a goth concert? Isn't that conforming and contradicting the intent of normcore? I think that just sums up how ridiculous it is. Why the attack on fashion? Especially when it's so flawed, I mean if those images you've used are in fact representations of normcore they certainly aren't demonstrating an abandonment of style, they're appropriating a variety of styles. If anything it's just street fashion by another name. If they really wanted to accomplish what they claim is normalcy then why aren't they wearing the standard t-shirts and jeans from Walmart? Or is that just too fuddy duddy and unfashionable for them? It's clear to me they still want to look like hipsters they just don't like being labelled that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It made me mental when I heard about it because it makes no sense at all.

      Delete
  3. "NormGoth"=Wensday Addams?^^ Btw, there can be a huge difference between dressing normal and dressing like that. dresssing NORMAL does not mean only neutral colours and not standing out at all. You can dress "normally" and still look fashionable and make your outfit look at least interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's just another way if being pretentious.

      Delete
  4. I've read about it. It's so silly, why even call it a "fashion"? It's not fashion, maybe a trend. The explanation Tracietrak is giving sounds logic.
    I think uniqueness is something to strive for, not necessarily standing out, but to be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAhaHA!!! Best read all week!! Yes,it seems okay to dress like a 90s prep-trying -to -dress -grunge- but -doesn't-quite- get -the -point when you're a young thin-mint with a million dollars, but we actually poor post-grunge 90s adults are shaking our weary heads at you :)

    ReplyDelete